built in 1921 & 1924
Historically the residents of Chinook and neighboring communities used the elementary school facilities for a meeting and gathering place. The classrooms of the school were also used as education and training spaces for non-profits and social services. But when we began, only the ball fields could safely remained open. Both the school and gymnasium had deteriorated to the point that they could not be used. With limited formal activities and resources; the community needed a facility for not only adults but our children.
The main school building is now called the Community Building and is also being used for the Chinook Food Bank, and is available to rent. The Gym is now an Event Center and provides a community space for weddings, family gathering, sports, and more. It is available for rental as part of the projects sustainability plan.